Monday, November 10, 2008

The Beginner Cook

I look back and realize that as a child I was very lucky. Very lucky that my mother was always willing to cook and clean for us (and never really heard her complain)...all of this while she also had a full-time job. Seriously?

Times have changed a bit and especially in my household. Yes, there is still newlywed bliss, but I also just don't believe that it should be only my job to cook and clean. Not when I am sitting in nice rush hour traffic for five days a week. I at least have a husband who is willing to go 50-50 on household cleaning duties. We actually talked about this early on - I hate washing dishes, so he does the dishes. He hates doing laundry, so I do the laundry. All of this works, except for the cooking. In my single days, I kept it pretty simple, because I was only eating for myself. When I registered, my friends giggled at the thought of buying me a blender (until I explained the need for magaritas) or a mixer (well, this one was more for looks - the red Kitchenaid mixer). However, over the last year, I have become more and more of a fan of cooking. I love trying out new recipes - but they have to be easy...like beginner easy.

So hopefully, I will post a couple recipes here a week and tell you how they went. Please keep in mind - the majority of them are Weight Watchers or low fat. And please, feel free to pass along any of your recipes as well!

First up - Again beginner here and the key here is that it is quick.

Mexican Chicken
1 pkg Taco seasoning (Taco Bell is best)
4 (4 oz) chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup non-fat sour cream

Put chicken & taco seasoning in plastic bag; shake and coat well. Place in sprayed (nonstick cooking spray) casserole dish. Bake 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Top with salsa about 5 minutes before done, then top with sour cream.

This is a weightwatchers recipe - so it is four points for one chicken breast.

No comments: